Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ghost Signs: Philly Part 2

Here's a couple more ghost signs I've encountered on my travels around the City of Brotherly Love.

This one is on a building in the middle of 13th at Cuthbert. I took it from the top of the parking garage at 12th and Filbert:



I really can't make out any features of this one. It appears that there were several different signs in this spot. At least one was square/rectangular and at least one other was circular. Could it have been this one from 1965? The windows sort of match:



Here it is a bit closer, also from 1965:



The second one caught my eye while driving to work:



It's on the side of a building at the corner of Shields Street and Woodland Avenue, near 67th and Woodland.



Clearly it's a Coca-Cola/Ice Cream Soda sign. But it appears to be on top of a smaller sign. I've been studying the top line and all I can make out is what appears to be "Chas Kendis," research of which reveals nothing. Unfortunately the city historical photo archive has nothing for this address either.



[Old Timey Pictures courtesy of PhillyHistory.org. Go at your own risk and prepare to lose most of the next 5 or 6 hours browsing...]

No comments: